Monday, June 28, 2021

#8weeksofsummer Week 4: New tools I discovered this year

 


This at the start of your post: “This post is week 4 of 8 in the #8WeeksofSummer Blog Challenge for educators.

This year had to do with technology. Since we couldn't be in our face to face classrooms, we had to find ways to communicate, work, teach, interact.

What I found particularly useful this year was Google documents and Edmodo.

Before covid, I only used dropbox or Google drive only to upload my students' homework or a PDF document for reading or Grammar rules my students had to study. Nobody had told me until then that I could use it as a board for my lesson! 

I know that in platforms like Zoom or Webex, you can write or draw on your presentation bord, but it sometimes complicated to give the control to other participants. Sometime the participants don't have e good internet connection and cannont write or anwer on the platform. 

A word document on Google documents can be the solution. Every person invited could write on it, solve exercises, write comments, do corrections.

It can also be uses as a chat room in a much simpler version. 

The other thing I used and learned some features was Edmodo. 

I found out that Edmodo is something like facebook for learners. Easy to use, the teacher can upload his/her exercises, create quizzes online and offline, give grades and feedback to the learners and all this in a closed and protected enviroment.

I am sure that as time goes by, I keep learning more things I can use as far technology is concerned. 

As teachers we have to keep up yp keep going!

Until next time.


2 comments:

Denise Krebs said...

Theodora, I like your idea of using the Google Doc itself for sharing. Everyone writing on the same document. I have done this before by making a table and letting each person have their own square so they stay organized! It can be a little crazy at times.

We did not use Edmodo this year. I have used it in my previous school. I guess our Google Classroom kind of does similar things, right?

Yes, indeed, as you say, it's really about the technology these days.

penny said...

Google really has a brilliant strategy, making a great product and make it free to education. When our students are adults and know Google so well of course they will purchase/use Google.

I wonder if the pandemic helps our schools. districts. states have a more honed strategy with technology?

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...