I thought this prompt by Sylvia Guinan, would be an excellent idea for a blog post!!
The first question that came to my mind is "why do we teach anyway?"
For some, it is just another job. You had this opportunity to go to a school and "teach", get the book, say your stuff and go home.
For some others, teaching is their whole life. Sometimes you spend more time with your students or preparing, reading, studying, than "living".
You don't do it to get rich, but it is important to you to "spread" your knowledge, to open a new horizon to somebody, not just in the field you are an expert.
For me every day is just a little happiness.
Communication is everything.
For me it is not just teaching a language.
- It is when they learn something about the country, the culture, the civilization, the traditions.
- When we read something from a newspaper about a new discovery in whatever subject there is.
- When they trust my with their problems, and they do trust me more than their parents.
- When something good has happened and they send me a message to tell me.
- When in they beginning they don't want to start lessons and when the first lesson comes to an end they are excited (and they just can't hide it)
- When we sing, dance and have fun!
- When students remember me after years and call me to see how I am doing
- When I see students become great teachers themselves