Monday, June 9, 2014

#30Goals Challenge: Learn to play

This challenge was proposed by Dave Dogson and it is about "gamification".
To tell you the truth, when I heard this term, I didn't really know what it meant... I still don't ...



Gamification is the use of game thinking and game mechanics in non-game contexts to engage users in solving problems. Gamification has been studied and applied in several domains, such as to improve user engagement, physical exercise, return on investment, data quality, timeliness, and learning. A review of research on gamification shows that most studies on gamification find positive effects from gamification.




(From Wikipedia)


As I understand it, it is using the games to make students produce language...
So I thought of 3 ways to make that happen:

  • Ask students to talk about their favourite game. You don't necessarily have to make a video, they could just talk in class about it or write a composition about it. Below is a video of my student Alex describing his fave game.
  •  Students can go further and use power point and make a presentation on the subject. You can organize a "Game-day", they can invite friends and family to see what their "project" is all about.
  • Or, in a more advanced level, ask students to write a guide how to play this game, with tips and explanations.
And don't forget! Always have fun!

No comments:

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...