Saturday, September 14, 2013

30 Goals Challenge: Goal 14: Conquer a fear


What I really loved about this blog challenge and has kept me going is that it is making me think out of the box and push myself to do things I hesitated to do on my own.
As a person and as an educator, I have a lot of fears,  especially when I am challenged to do new things.
It is pretty normal for me to avoid things when I don't know how to do them.
I am always depending on people to help me when I don't know how to go on and this is really a comfort zone I must step out of!!
My first attempt to conquer my fear is to create a pecha - kucha - kind presentation of myself and my work for Goal number 5 (Step out of your comfort zone) - which proved to me that I can actually use "power point", even in a simple presentation (I am still a beginner).
Thanks to Shelly I tried new tools like pearl trees, glogster, animoto and many more.
And I got to talk to so many wonderful educators with the same fears and problems and I believe that if you connect to people you can see that you are not the only one who's afraid!
What I am trying to do at the moment is organize and co-ordinate a video project with participants from all over the world and actually present it on my own in a convention. This will be the first presentation on my own (I don't know if I can actually do it) and I have to admit that I am afraid that everything will go wrong.
But what I have learned so far is that if you don't dare to do things, you never achieve anything!

4 comments:

Lovely Lana said...

You're a very brave girl, Theodora, because for me a challenge is when you have to admit that you're afraid of something (especially something most people do and do not even consider a challenge). That must be a very interesting presentation you're planning to do - is it going to be in TESOL Thessaloniki?

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

I haven't sent an application to any of the conventions, yet. I want to gather material first - and I still haven't started working with my own students. Hopefully if I have some videos ready until November I will apply. Thank you for your kind words!

walton said...

I was never a huge fan of technology in the classroom because I never saw the point. But I think students love these tools--so I have to step out of my comfort zone and say, "Well maybe there is some use to letting students use glogster or pearl trees or pinterest!

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Here in Greece we don't usually have the equipment and do stuff with our students! I also prefer projects with cartons, collages and things we can put up on the wall, but some software and internet based tools ( even the simplest ones) can make the difference and motivate kids!

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...