Friday, August 9, 2013

30 Goals Challenge: Goal 10: My book print #30GoalsEdu


This time I was really excited about the subject. One great thing about this blog challenge is that we get to vote the Goals and decide on what we are going to write about! I suggested "My Book print" and I am so happy to see that most of the people who take part in this voted for it!!!

Let me explain what a book print actually is: "A list of books that leave an indelible mark on our lives, shaping who we are and who we become"

When I was still at college, we had to read a list of books, one of these books was "The Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka.
When you start to read it, it gives you a sense of depression, but in my opinion, all these negative feelings can be turned into hope for the future....
The book is about Gregor Samsa, a traveling salesman, who  wakes up in his bed to find himself transformed into a large insect.

This transformation was not a punishment of some kind. It happened because sometimes things .... happen. The story is about the reaction of himself and his family to this terrible transformation.
Gregor's body and mind are not in harmony. He cannot adjust to his monstrous situation.
His family also have ambiguous feelings towards him. They feel both sympathy and revulsion towards him. In the end sympathy wears down and they all feel uncomfortable around him.
He becomes emotionally alienated. He feels imprisoned in his own home, estranged since he has no communication to the others... until he dies.

Why do I like this book? In the beginning I felt uncomfortable, it was really depressive to feel the agony of the character, the feeling that he is unwanted because he has changed.
But during the past years I realized that:
LIFE IS SHORT
and
LIFE GOES ON for the people left behind

So we should not feel bad about anything happens to our lives. Adjustment is something that we all should embrace.
Live the moments and MAKE A DIFFERENCE while you can!!!!

You can download the book over here
Book analysis over here

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Kafka's books are really dark and difficult to read. Good choice! What language did you read it in? Did you know that he was born in Prague (I happen to come from the Czech Republic :-).

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Yes I did! I had to study him in college (bio, books etc). I read the boo in German, which is the original, I think!

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...