Monday, July 8, 2013

30 Goals Challenge : Goal 2: How to avoid burnout #30GoalsEdu


This is  a really tough one.... If you ask me, if you are a teacher for more than 10 years, you simply cannot avoid burnout... The thing is how to get over it.
We all come up to a point when we feel tired, sick of what we do and complain all the time about everything. And that happens of course just because we are tired....
How can we return to our old selves again?
There are a lot of things we can do.
  • I know that this may sound radical, but, if you are really sick and tired of your situation just change it!!  For example, when I felt "trapped" working at a language school I just stopped!! I am now freelance, teaching individuals and small groups and I am much happier. Of course this was a great risk, since you don't really know what will happen if you are on your own.
  • Another less radical thing you could do is find time for yourself! You should not work work and work all the time. Devote one hour a day doing something else that you really enjoy. For me it is the gym, for somebody else it may be reading, cooking, drawing....
  • Have at least a day off work. I always have Sundays devoted to my family. No reading no marking no nothing.
  • Try new things in class! Challenge yourself! Avoid the book! Do fun stuff with your students!!!
I just remembered I had written sth about it years ago, so here's the link to my previous burn out post

 Have a nice summer everybody!

No comments:

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...