Monday, March 2, 2020

Modal verb poem


One of the tasks of this week's chapter was to find out the meanings of the modal verbs in this poem

I may, I might, I must 

If you will tell me why the fen
appears impassable, I then
will tell you why I think that I
can get across it if I try.

Marianne Moore (1887-1972)

So, I guess, "I may, I might" in the title express possibility or even willingness to do something, whereas "I must" shows obligation.

"If you will" could show willingness to do something, "I then will tell you"could be promise or willingness to do something and "I can get across" is possiblity. nd might: possibility must: obligation 



No comments:

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...