Sunday, July 19, 2020

Professional goals?



This post is week 6 of 8 in the #8WeeksofSummer Blog Challenge for educators

Professional goals? There was a time that Imade lists with things I want to achieve professionally.
Now? Now anymore!
And I'll tell you why.
In order to make things happen, you need:

  • Time
  • Money
  • Ambition
  • Luck
Ambition was the only thing I had in the past few years.  Unfortunatelly in my field of work, employers prefer yoounger individuals, who are cheaper and have less responsibilities.
Money is never enough, since I have to support my family, whose expenses are really high, lately. So, this has automatically said goodbye to further studies. 
Time is also something I don't have since I have to work all the time. So again, There is no time to devote to further studies or even to myself sometimes.
Luck, well, let's say is a word that does not exist in my vocabulary anymore.
Dreams, well, I have a lot of those, but, my feet are on the ground.

So, I guess, the only professional goals I have for this year is to keep / find a good number of students,  maybe try to work a bit more online (you never know what will happen with the pandemic), keep being creative and keep healthy (this is a professional goal as well, since being on your feet means being able to work)
That's it for today, a bit short, I know. 

2 comments:

Denise Krebs said...

Theodora, your post is a little sad, but realistic. I understand. Your feet are on the ground. It's funny, now that my kids are out of college, grown and married, I find I can afford some opportunities that I couldn't when they were younger (probably when I needed it more!). Now, I'm nearing retirement, and working on a certificate. I don't want to retire fully though.

As you wrote in your last paragraph, you do have professional goals of getting students, being creative and keeping healthy. Those are goals for me too, these days!

Theodora Papapanagiotou said...

Thank you for your comment! I can understand your situation and yes, when our kids get a life of their own, it's much easier. My son is just starting college this year so I have a few years of "worry" ahead of me. It is very important for our kids to be able to be independent and live their life (and even prepare to be without us in the very distant future). I believe you that you don't want to stop working completely, active people like us find it difficult to just stay retired and do nothing important! Good luck with your cerntificate!

Featured Post

Teaching online through Lockdown

Some months ago, when I wrote a blog on online Teaching for iTDi , I could never imagine that the teaching world would turn digital overn...